Home Improvement Knowledge

When Should a Landlord Hire a Housing lawyer?

If you own or manage a few rental properties, like many landlords, you are unlikely to have a housing lawyer on staff. Fortunately, you should not have to visit a housing lawyer on a regular basis or even keep one on standby “just in case.” You must be able to detect when expert assistance is required, even if it is only for some advice and coaching. Furthermore, there are a lot of different websites from where you can hire housing lawyers including but not limited to boligadvokat as well as eBoligadvokat. These websites can provide the best as well as professional housing lawyers that can help you.

Landlords are basically no different from any other sort of company owner in that they want to generate money while avoiding responsibility. In certain cases, employing a housing lawyer to assist you in achieving these goals is a wise decision. Here are some of the most prevalent circumstances in which a professional’s evaluation or assistance might be beneficial.

Audited by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the State

You do not necessarily have to employ a housing lawyer if you find that the IRS or your state tax agency will be auditing your return. For example, an audit involving a few thousand dollars in additional taxes is unlikely to justify the cost of retaining a housing lawyer. When there is a lot of money on the line, though, you will probably want to employ a housing lawyer to assist you with an audit. If you have committed a significant tax error that the government has not caught on to yet.

Suing for Significant Property Damage

Tenants or visitors may sue you if they believe your negligence to maintain the rental property resulted in harm to their belongings. Your liability coverage would also kick in in this circumstance. You may elect to report the problem to your insurance company and take advantage of its responsibility to appoint a housing lawyer if the claim is large. When the claim is minor, especially if it is filed in small claims court, you will probably prefer to handle it yourself, but an hour or two of coaching might help.

Suing for a Personal Injury or Illness

If a renter or visitor sues you, claiming that she was injured or became ill as a result of your negligence, you will almost likely need to engage a housing lawyer to defend you. Personal injury cases are usually high-stakes, and personal injury attorneys are considerably more familiar with them than you are. You may also find it difficult to address a renter who has experienced a significant loss, even if you think you are not to blame. Any housing lawyer you pick should be emotionally removed from the case and have prior experience negotiating in similar circumstances. If you have liability insurance as well as pay your monthly, your insurer should provide you with legal representation to defend you against personal injury claims.

Join The Discussion